Can using natural ingredients such as Castor oil, Oregano oil, Vitamin D, and Magnesium help treat psoriasis?
Natural approaches to improving skin and healing psoriasis
The ways you can treat psoriasis aren’t endless, but there are certainly options to choose from. Not every treatment OTC or from a doctor’s prescription pad is the answer for everyone, especially because of unwanted side effects for many of them. Most chronic health conditions are from a weak immune function which means the body can become inflamed and get infections easier.
There are many supplements such as vitamins, minerals, amino acids, herbals and nutraceutical type anti-inflammatories (quercetin, MSM, different vitamin oils like: grapefruit seed oil) that can help combat these chronic conditions. Improving gut health and overall immune system function can help improve psoriasis as well.
Supplements and oils that can improve skin health and address your psoriasis
Natural ingredients and supplements have been used long before pharmaceuticals. The following have been deemed as potential options to help improve psoriasis.
- Castor oil (usually only sold as a topical; best to buy pure castor oil from a vitamin or health food store; there is a kind sold in the digestive health isles of food stores that can be toxic because it isn’t pure--- usually in a dark blue small bottle with a white cap)
- Oregano oil (gel pills or oil as a topical)
- Vitamin D (sunshine or topical or oral pill)
- Magnesium (pill or topical gel; can get magnesium from sitting in a bath with Epsom salts)
Castor oil for your skin and other issues
Castor oil can not only soothe the skin it can be an anti-infective topical. It can help improve pain, won’t clog pores, lowers inflammation, fungal problems on skin and so much more.
The oil is broken down into ricinoleic acid. This is what happens to help improve the gut function and digestion. As it is absorbed into your skin it can improve the layers of skin and soothe many kinds of dermatitis. You can apply it liberally on your face and other areas on the body. The oil won’t cause your skin to be greasy. It helps your dry skin stay moisturized.
Castor oil can help improve:
- Gut health
- Skin health
- Pain due to analgesic properties (Learn more about castor oil packs)
Oregano oil is great for skin and many other parts of your health
The oil contains carvacrol that is responsible for helping many issues. It has so many uses from infections to skin protecting properties. It can also remove biofilms in the GI tract that cause infections to stay.
The oil can help improve your digestive health by improving gut bacteria. It’s capabilities with the gut health can help improve your skin health and psoriasis. It is also helpful in reducing reflux issues because the carvacrol is similar to menthol—sometimes people use peppermint to soothe stomach issues and indigestion.
It also can be used as a potent herbal antibiotic and antiviral. Inflammation can be lowered everywhere in the body when using this oil. The oil is also beneficial to combat a variety of side effects from drugs such as chemotherapy treatment.
- Is a natural antibiotic for bacterial infections
- Rid of viral infections
- Rids of parasitic infections
- Promotes gut health
- Improve allergies
- Improves side effects from cancer drugs and other drugs
- Improves skin health
- Has antioxidants
- Reduce cytokine response (causing inflammation)
- Attacks candida and fungal issues, internally and on skin (athletes foot can be addressed and other fungal issues on the skin)
- Fights respiratory infections
- Lowers LDL (bad) cholesterol
- Rid of MRSA, staph infections, and remove warts
Vitamin D for skin and immune health
Vitamin D is good for many things: your immune system, skin health, bone health, eye health, heart health and more. The vitamin is for regulation of phosphorus, calcium and magnesium. There are two forms of vitamin D: ergocalciferol (D2) and cholecalciferol (D3).
It is a fat-soluble secosteroids. It is known that vitamin D can help improve your overall skin health and can drastically improve psoriasis symptoms if you increase vitamin D. Also, a vitamin D deficiency could contribute to psoriasis. The standard dose is 400-1,000 IU per day but most people take more as they age or more for a certain health condition.
Top of Form
Bottom of Form
Ways to get vitamin D
- Sit in the sunshine for a few minutes a day
- Taking vitamin D as a supplement
- Consuming vitamin D rich foods
Foods that have vitamin D
- Egg yolks (higher in cholesterol and vitamin D)
- Fish that are fattier (salmon, tuna)
- Fortified foods (cereals and some other food products)
Topical options for vitamin D
Studies have shown improvement of psoriasis with vitamin D oil used directly on the skin. Making sure you get enough sun exposure is also a great way to help your chronic psoriasis. Too much sun can cause a psoriasis flare—don’t overdo your sun therapy.
Magnesium for general health and your skin
It is needed for many functions in the body. You need it for muscle, bone health, nerve health, skin health, and GI health. It is needed for blood pressure lowering and can also lower blood sugar. It is needed to help make DNA and certain proteins. It is a critical mineral and most people don’t get enough of it. Taking a supplement is probably needed for many folks and will only benefit your body and skin health.
Nearly 80% of the population is magnesium deficient. So, this alone, should explain why so many people suffer from blood pressure issues to skin health problems. It is very important for our skin just like all these other critical functions that are missing and need magnesium for their mission.
Magnesium can help:
- Needed for a healthy skin
- Can fight dry and damaged skin
- Breaks down oils and fats
- Stress breakouts
- Menstrual cramp pain
- Treat migraines
- Muscle and heart health
- Improve blood pressure
- Lower blood sugar
- Make proteins in body
- Make DNA
Foods high in Magnesium:
- Cashew nuts
- Other seeds and nuts
- You should get at least 100 mg per day
- Most pill supplements come in 500 mg to 1000 mg (some people need several a day depending on health conditions or if used for stool movement or skin health; always talk to your doctor about increasing doses)
Knowing noteworthy natural heath options for psoriasis treatment is essential
There are many ways to combat skin issues including psoriasis. Natural health approaches can be very helpful and even better than western medicine ways. They help other issues with the body and many are essential like vitamin D and magnesium.
Oils are great for skin health and can be perfect for infections and inflammation and wont dry out or make the skin worse in any way—such as castor oil or oregano oil.
These are all great ways to help your psoriasis and overall health. Learning about each one is essential. Adding to your current supplement routine is a perfect way to get started. Doing more than recommended doses—you should always talk to your doctor first.